Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Personal note: I am not an early blogger. Sleep, in the form of comatose like bits, means I typically don't wake up until noon, sometimes later if I know I don't have anything to do. (I know I'm not the only one who does this, not because my mother does the same thing, or because I know a few friends who do the same, too, but... I just know. ESP. Yeahhhhh.)

That being said, I figured it would be better to post my Teaser Tuesday post before everyone else passed out sometime around midnight (typically the time I start my internet trolling and Facebook gaming. Curse you and your delicious looking cupcakes, Cafe Life!) This week, since it's my first, I'm going to do two teasers; one from my work-in-progress-of-hopeful-potential-awesomesauce, Illumine, and the other from a well known author I frequently creep upon, Maggie Stiefvater. Maggie's first book, Shiver, was one of the few I took my time to stare and page through at my local B&N forever ago, completely drawn in by the simplicity of the no-fuss, beautifully crafted cover. It reminded me of those doodles and squiggles I used to make on the corners of all my notebooks and folders in High School when I couldn't focus on whatever ridiculous algebra lesson the teacher attempted to describe.

Her jacket description, courtesy of Goodreads, goes like this;

the cold.Grace has spent years watching the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—watches back. He feels deeply familiar to her, but she doesn't know why.

the heat.
Sam has lived two lives. As a wolf, he keeps the silent company of the girl he loves. And then, for a short time each year, he is human, never daring to talk to Grace...until now.

the shiver.
For Grace and Sam, love has always been kept at a distance. But once it's spoken, it cannot be denied. Sam must fight to stay human—and Grace must fight to keep him—even if it means taking on the scars of the past, the fragility of the present, and the impossibility of the future.

When I read this originally, I was in my post-Twilight phase, meaning I was sucking in anything that had vampires, werewolves, magic period. Not that there was anything wrong with that, not at all. I can't tell you how many wicked books I found admist my inhaling and exisiting in B&N over the past several years (well, actually, I will tell you, it'll just take a while) but the point is, when I read the jacket to Maggie's book, I had to read more. Here's the two sentenced quote I'm capturing from Shiver for you all.

For a moment, I forgot where- who -I was. For a moment, it didn't matter.

You can't tell me that doesn't make you want to know who or what or how everything is going on. Why didn't Grace care she forgot who she was for a moment? Was she that enamored by something before her eyes? What had taken a hold on her heart so suddenly, with such an intensity? If you haven't already read the book, please do so. Paperback, ebook, I don't care, just go inhale this book like I did.

 So, there's teaser number one. And now, I have to let you all in on teaser number two. I've only had this blog for a little while now, but I've been cultivating and crafting my story for about two years now, caught between freaking the hell out about it failing miserably and so in love with it that if possible, I would have married my little hard drive by now. The love-hate relationship I have with Illumine is so intense, half of the time I don't know if I'm ever going to finish the thing. Essallie is constantly sitting in my head, chatting away about all of the elements in the story, and here I am ignoring her because I've been told somewhere that hearing voices in your head is generally the first sign of insanity. (Not that I haven't heard voices before, nah.) But about a month ago, I swallowed my pride after reading one of Veronica Roth's blog posts about jumping off the bridge already and getting it done, and I said to myself, "Okay. Let's do this. The first couple drafts of this is going to be terrible, but you know what? That's what editing is for. And friends. And coffee. And boyfriends like Tim. And movies like Titanic with a box of kleenex because honestly if I see Jack die one more time I'm just going to sob for hours."

But, I'm stalling. You'll notice I get sidetracked a lot as time goes on as I post more on this blog. I like rambling. Shiny things are beyond amusing. And Coca Cola makes me so damn hyper that most of the time I drink it and then I sprint around the house trying to keep up with my brain and it's own personal, seperate ramblings. So, before I launch into a personal essay of the pretty shiny things within my eyesight right now, let me give you just two sentences of Illumine.

I covered my mouth and screamed a name, flinging a hand out into the darkened miasma surrounding me. Death would not stop me, for death could not kill an angel. 
 
 I'm not cool enough to have a jacket description or Goodreads location for it just yet, partially since editing is a beast I'm still trying to slay off in the corner of my room, and partially because my Mother wants the computer from me to check her email. She really does need to get a smart phone so she can just check it on there and let me go back to canoodling with my hard drive in piece. That is, until we get into an arguement about how terrible my writing is, and I go back to episodes of True Blood for distraction.

0 comments:

Post a Comment